At Charnwood Nursery & Pre-School Group we take the safety and welfare of our children and staff seriously. This policy details procedures which we will follow to prevent the direct and indirect spread of Coronavirus.
For cleaning and hygiene:
· We will follow the COVID-19: cleaning of non-healthcare settings guidance
· We will ensure that sufficient handwashing facilities are available. Where a sink is not nearby, we will provide hand sanitiser in classrooms and other learning environments.
· A schedule for cleaning surfaces that children are touching, such as toys, books, tables, chairs, doors, sinks, toilets, light switches, bannisters, will be implemented to ensure that cleaning takes place more regularly than normal
· All adults and children will :
- Frequently wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds and dry thoroughly, this will be regularly reviewed and up to date guidance followed.
- clean their hands on arrival at the setting, before and after eating, and after sneezing or coughing
- be encouraged not to touch their mouth, eyes and nose
- use a tissue or elbow to cough or sneeze and use bins for tissue waste (‘catch it, bin it, kill it’)
· Children who struggle in cleaning their hands independently will be supported by an adult
· We will encourage children to learn and practise these habits through games, songs and repetition
· Bins for tissues will be emptied at regular intervals throughout the day
· All rooms will be ventilated using natural ventilation (opening windows)
· We will prop doors open, where safe to do so (bearing in mind fire safety and safeguarding), to limit use of door handles and aid ventilation
· Encourage staff and children to wear freshly washed clothes each day
· Children’s dummies will be hygienically stored in clean, dry, closed containers.
· Staff to remain vigilant to ensure that cups, dummies and utensils are not shared.
· Careful consideration when using malleable materials for learning will be taken. Children will have access to their own playdough and individual water play. The sand pit will not be open.
Reduce mixing within the setting by:
· We will allow children and staff to access rooms directly from outside where possible
· Keep groups of children apart as they move from the indoors to outdoor spaces
· We will limit the number of children who use the toilet facilities at any one time
Use outside space:
· Allocate areas for outdoor play to limit transmission of infection
· Outdoor equipment will be cleaned in between groups of children accessing it. Multiple groups will not use it simultaneously.
For shared rooms:
· Staff will have staggered lunch breaks and will wash their hands before and after breaks, Staff areas will be cleaned in between breaks. Staff will adhere to social distancing in staff areas
· Limit occupancy of staff in the office and staff room areas
Reduce the use of shared resources:
· Each room will be allocated i- pads that will be disinfected between each staff member using them.
· Office equipment will be sterilised regularly
· To reduce contact between parents /carers and practitioners, one parent/carer per family to drop off and pick up. Parents /carers to limit the number of siblings present at these times.
· Toys and other items should only be brought to nursery if absolutely essential for a child’s well-being. Where this is a case, items should be appropriately cleaned on arrival.
· Windows to be kept open as far as possible to maintain ventilation.
· External visitors will be limited.
· Staff and children must wear freshly washed clothes each day.